Meeting Expert Witness Requirements

When an attorney or other professional fails to fulfill or uphold a professional duty, there are ways to hold that person accountable. Regardless of whether the failure involved deliberate misconduct or some form of negligence, if you are injured by the breach of professional standards you may have a compensation claim.

It is important, however, to work with a proven attorney who can guide you through the complicated process involved in malpractice cases.

Andrew Rubin, Esquire, is such an attorney. Based in Montclair, he helps clients in Essex County and throughout New Jersey hold attorneys and other professionals accountable for malpractice. We encourage you to give our office a call to discuss your specific situation.

Mr. Rubin has qualified as an expert witness and testified in numerous legal malpractice cases before the Superior Court of New Jersey, including on issues of conflict of interest, breach of duty, and the reasonableness of attorneys fees.

What Steps Do You Have To Take To Bring A Malpractice Claim?

New Jersey has a very specific requirement that someone injured by professional malpractice must meet to bring a claim. You have to get an expert witness to review your case and an affidavit from a qualified lawyer that a claim has merit.

This statement is called an affidavit of merit (AOM). The legislature added the requirement to the New Jersey statutes over 20 years ago, seeking to prevent frivolous claims. In practice, it means that without a professional to provide an AOM, your case can be dismissed at a very early stage.

Andrew Rubin has extensive experience in bringing legal malpractice claims against other attorneys. He has served as an expert witness and provided an affidavit of merit in many cases throughout the state in a variety of practice errors. This includes, but is not limited to, malpractice in commercial litigation; business transactions; matrimonial dissolution; litigated/trial matters; and real estate matters.

Confidential Consultations Available

To discuss a possible malpractice claim with an experienced lawyer, call our office or complete the online form. All consultations are confidential.